Making Friends

I have always considered myself someone who makes friends easily. That’s not to say that everyone likes me, but I can usually find my niche and fit in quite well. Now that I have moved to a new city and I’m not in school, friends are not being handed to me on a silver platter. It’s such a different friend-making experience.

Convenience was often the determiner of friends in the past. They were in my class, or in my residence. When it comes time to just choose friends, and find them in a city of hundreds of thousands, how do you do it?

It means getting involved in activities I think like-minded people would be involved in. It takes work. It means stepping out of my comfort zone and introducing myself to others. It’s strange because although I’m not shy, there is this mentality that everyone already has their group of friends and they aren’t really looking to expand.

I have made some great friends through friends I already had in the city, but it has been very different trying to make new ones from scratch! It’s also actually a lot of fun. Try it!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean, but for me it was always this hard. Mostly because of me of course; I’m an introvert all the way and it is extremely hard for me to step out of my “comfort zone” and just make that first step!

    Something I’m really working on since I have been really hurting for good friends lately. Glad to hear you’re doing it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and I enjoy reading each one.

I love to reply to all of your comments. If you would like to be alerted to my reply please click the subscribe by email link at the bottom of the comment form.