I'm so very excited to be sharing these 9 beautiful handmade gift ideas with 8 other fabulous bloggers today. I hope that you stop in on each one, show them some love and get some great ideas for Christmas.
When Tamsyn (Max & Me) asked me to be a part of this wonderful handmade post I just couldn't wait to tackle a little project I've been wanting to do for a while. I've seen some really cute boot cuffs on Etsy but I just couldn't spend the money knowing that I could whip up some of my own. I wanted to make them for my sisters because I knew they would love them. My sisters are very different so I made two very different styles. One with lace and the other with buttons as the main embellishment.
Instead of spending the time trying to knit these babies I decided to get some thrift store knit sweaters that I liked and use the sleeves as the cuffs! Cheaper and easier! Bonus!
2. I chopped them off at the thickest part of the sleeve (For men's sweaters or to be sure of a good fit, I would just throw your leg through the sleeve and see where it feels comfiest and chop there! If the cuff of the sleeve fits best you are in luck because it's one less seam you have to sew!)
3. Turn one sleeve inside out and place it over the other sleeve so the two inside seams are together.
4. Hand stitch the sleeves together and turn them back outside out!
5. Add lace or simply tuck the edge into the cuff and hand stitch all the way around so that the knit part doesn't come undone. (With a thick knit sweater your stitches pretty much disappear into the cuff and thinner ones I would recommend adding the lace or something so that you can hide the stitches on the inside.
6. Add buttons, or ribbon if desired. Just hand stitch those on too! (No sewing machine needed here!) If the sweater comes with them, use the button from the sweater for a perfect match. (Just like my grey ones)
I hope you like them! Let me know if you have any questions in the comments section and I will be sure to answer them all. Happy DIY'ing!