Ikea Rast Hack

I am so excited to share this project with you today. I finally (and I mean finally- like over a year overdue) finished our nightstands. I wanted to try my hand at an Ikea Rast hack. I thought they would make the perfect bedside tables and I loved some of the ones I had seen online. You can see a few of my favourites on Pinterest here.

I thought a lot about making an exact imitation of the one from Little House Blog because they are beautiful, but I thought maybe our stark white headboard would compete a bit too much. Then I saw they idea of covering them with fabric and I knew I would find a way to mesh the two. I opted for a stained and fabric covered look.

I also was seriously considering the loop pulls, but I wanted to be as economical as possible and found these brass ones for $30 for 12 at Home Hardware. I actually love how they look. They tie in with the other brass that's in our room really well.

We had been using ours as-is without knobs on them for over a year and my impeding return to work was just what I needed to get my butt in gear and finish these off.

Supplies:
Ikea Rast (X2)
Stain (I used Minwax Dark Walnut)
Fabric (From Fabricville)
Brass Knobs (Home Hardware- Brass Knobs $20 for a pack of ten and $4 individually)
Polycrylic Finish
Staple Gun
Glue Gun
Screwdriver

I simply followed directions to stain it and then stapled the fabric on nice and tight. I needed to use the glue gun to glue the fabric down on the sides of the drawer so it wouldn't get caught when opening and closing the drawer. I put the finish only on the wood part, but you could do it over the fabric as well.

Here are a few more pictures up close!









I honestly love how they turned out!

What do you think?

Have you ever tried an Ikea hack?

  Photobucket


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I just LOVE them!
    I can't wait to do this! I love that you used fabric to cover them, it's such a good idea to make it customizable to whatever room they are in! Brilliant! : ) XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are just so talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! An Ikea Rast hack has been on my to-do list as well - yours are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look incredible! So elegant!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and I enjoy reading each one.

I love to reply to all of your comments. If you would like to be alerted to my reply please click the subscribe by email link at the bottom of the comment form.