Henry Oscar's Birth Story

I was sure that I would go early this time around. Elias was born on his due date but I felt like this time I would be a week or so early. I especially thought so because I was getting strong Braxton Hicks contractions for a few weeks leading up to his due date. 

The day before his due date rolled around I realized he wouldn't be early so I decided to go power walk in the mall with mom and Elias. I really didn't want to go too long past my due date because I was seriously uncomfortable and tired!

After the energetic mall walk I went back to my parent's place so Elias could nap and I could rest. I started getting some mild contractions in the early afternoon which I was "sure" were just false labour again. Just before we had dinner they started getting much stronger.

I ate dinner while breathing through some strong contractions. I decided to give Jetty a heads up that we would probably be meeting our baby soon. He works late Thursdays so I asked him to head right home after work to grab a bag for Elias so he could stay at my parent's place for the night so I could concentrate on labour. By the time he came with all of Eli's things I was having contractions often and wanted to get home and comfy so I could progress more at home. We headed to our house and I laid on the couch while Jetty packed the car with our things for the hospital. We got home shortly before 8pm but by 9pm I started to think we should head to the hospital. 

Getting to our front door and then from the car to the hospital labour and delivery room took a long time. Each step made contractions come on stronger. When we finally got to the floor to check in I was so desperate that I would be at least 5cm dialated and I was overjoyed when she said that was exactly how far along I was. I was admitted and headed to the same room Elias was born in to continue labour. 

At this point it was after 9:30pm and I realized I might actually have this little one on the due date unless things moved along really quickly. The contractions were strong but I was concentrating on relaxing through each one and was feeling good about powering through until we met our little baby. 

For this birth again my water didn't break and after refusing several times I finally asked for my water to be broken after 11pm. I was ready to speed things along! After that labour really started getting intense and by 11:30pm I was not able to relax through each contraction. I lost my concentration and was grabbing Jetty's arms and pulling myself up with the peak of each contraction. By midnight I was ready to push and so grateful. This was the part I loved during Elias' birth. This time though I did not ease into it. With the first push I was certain I wouldn't be able to do this. I remember looking at the nurse with panic. But after the next push the head was out and after that I pushed his little body out quickly. The time of birth was 12:10am on his due date! He came into the world so fast that his face was bruised for a few days.

There were so many emotions after he was here; relief, joy, peace. I was so excited for a little brother for Elias and the perfect little addition to our family.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Mel! Congrats again! Its wonderful to read such a positive birth story.


Your comments make me smile and I enjoy reading each one.

I love to reply to all of your comments. If you would like to be alerted to my reply please click the subscribe by email link at the bottom of the comment form.