hmm...

I just saw the sentence “Has Social Media Changed the way we Communicate?”
Umm…Duh! Yes!

For better? or for worse? THAT is the question.

Now we can stay in touch with lots of people all at once. We can post pictures and in a matter of minutes hundreds of our friends can see them. But this can also mean that we don’t have to talk specifically to any person in particular. If we put it out there to the world then we don’t have to send individual messages to all our friends.

There is lots of opportunity to actually have MORE trouble staying in touch with people than before social media. This is because when we do mass updates, we may often forget personal updates. 

I think it’s important to find balance, to make time to talk to people, personally.
Send a letter.
Make a phone call.

If we are in touch with everyone all the time…then when are we ever really in touch with someone in particular?

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 11, 2009

    Well, I don't think it's changing for better or worse, per se. But I definitely think people are establishing less intimate relationships with each other. I'm a high school student and it seems like the only way to 'ask out' anyone is over the internet. People aren't as secure about putting themselves on the line, expressing their feelings in person, and in general they are becoming less and less confident.

    It seems like people can only explain how they really feel to someone when they don't have to look them in the eyes. Which I feel is the most important thing to do anyways when you are telling them something important. It makes them feel like it matters more to you.

    So I suppose that means it's been changed for the worse. Seeing as I don't have Facebook or any of the sorts, (well I do have a blog) I can't very well pinpoint the positive aspects. I mean, it's nice to share things with friends and keep in touch, but you've got to make sure, as you said, to maintain your personal relationships.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and I enjoy reading each one.

I love to reply to all of your comments. If you would like to be alerted to my reply please click the subscribe by email link at the bottom of the comment form.