Today is Great

Why is it that Friday’s are so exciting? Generally people still have to work on Friday. It’s not really different than any other weekday. I suppose it’s nice to be able to stay up later because you know you don’t have to get up the next day, but really that only makes Friday better by a few hours right? I mean, if you stay up until 11 on Thursday night, then Friday you stay up about 3 hours past that?

Then there is Sunday. For some reason, often, Sunday is not quite as exciting as Saturday. Is it the same thing again? Is it because you have to go to bed early because you work the next day? Is it those extra hours?

OR is it something more?

Maybe it is because we think a day ahead? Maybe Friday is great because we are so close to Saturday and Sunday is not so great because we are so close to Monday. Why can’t we just live for the day at hand? I think our mind naturally wanders its way into the future. We have so much trouble just keeping it in the present. Sometimes the present is not as good as we can imagine the future to be. The future holds so much! It holds a better job, more money, marriage, kids, a retirement! But then wait, the past holds youth, being carefree, no responsibility. We are just stuck in the middle, somewhere around Wednesday.

We need to start being excited about today and now! We can’t live for the weekend because that is only about 30% of the time. That means 70% of our life is waiting.

Maybe if we start every day with:
Today is great because…
I’m alive
I’m healthy
I have friends and family who love me
I have a job
I have food to eat and a roof over my head …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile and I enjoy reading each one.

I love to reply to all of your comments. If you would like to be alerted to my reply please click the subscribe by email link at the bottom of the comment form.