Bloggy Changes

As some of you may have noticed, I updated the blog a little while ago. If you usually follow the blog in a reader you likely missed it, so have a peek! :)





I do all of my images and buttons in PowerPoint. No Photoshop or anything fancy for this gal. I hope you like it. I think it better reflects my personality.

I also wanted to share a few other changes that have taken place.

1. About Tab

I've updated my "About" tab so it better reflects my life now. Hop over and read a little bit more about me!

2. Bloglovin'

Since we are all having to say goodbye to Google Reader, I've been looking for an alternative. For now, I plan to use Bloglovin' to follow my favourite blogs. Have a look here and see if it's a good fit for you! While you're at it, I'd love if you would follow my blog there.

Follow on Bloglovin 

3. On the right hand side of this blog ---> you can also enter your email address to have posts delivered right to your inbox. Just have a peek under the following tab:

4. Facebook Page

I did what I was sure I would never do... I made a Facebook page for this blog. I did this for a few reasons. The main reason is that I've been using Facebook lately to follow most of my favourite blogs. (I might even use it instead of Bloglovin'). With reader going away I thought others might want to do this too. Do you know how to easily follow your favourite blogs with Facebook? I'll show you! :)

Go to the page of one of your favourite bloggers. Beside the "Like" button click the "cog and arrow" button (image below). Then click "Add to Interest Lists."


Click on "New List..." (You can see below that I have 2 already)

You will have the page of the blog you started with selected but you can also select others under "Pages."


Once you have selected the pages you want to include make a name for your list and chose the privacy level.



You are done! To find your list later scroll down the left hand side of your home page on Facebook until you see apps and "MORE". Click on more and scroll to "Interests".

Your lists will be there (if you can't see them all then click "more" again to have them all listed). Click on the list you want to view...


 Now you can see the most recent stream from all your favourite bloggers. Yay!



Now, it doesn't provide a lot of the features of reader or Bloglovin' because you can't mark things as read or star them for later etc., but it is a great way to get a snapshot of what your favourite bloggers are up to right now! I also use Pinterest instead of starring items now and I generally keep pretty up-to-date on my blog reading so I don't use those features as often as some. I love it for realtime reading and inspiration. What do you think? Is this something you will use/ already use?

I'm not sure if I will keep my blog Facebook page. It feels silly since I have a small number of readers, but if this is a way that you want to sty up-to-date with your favourite blogs let me know and I will keep it there for easy updates! :)

5. Anonymous Comments

I've decided to no longer allow anonymous comments. I originally did this to allow you to easily comment on posts, but I've been getting too much yucky spam this way. I block it from getting through to you, but I'm tired of reading it. You will have to use one of the other options to comment. Let me know if you have any issues and I'd be happy to help!

That's it for updates today! I hope you are having a great week.

xo

Photobucket


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Lots of good stuff to consider Melanie. Especially for a new blogger like myself! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know if I can help with anything. :)

      Delete
  2. This is the first I am hearing of the end to Blog Reader and that makes me very sad... whatever will I do with my morning coffee routine? I will have you try bloglovin' thanks for the recommendation. Also, how did you build in those really cute square buttons for Facebook, Twitter, etc??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know? I was really getting used to Reader! Let me know how you like Bloglovin' ! I can do a post on how to make those buttons if you want? Perhaps as part of my post I can make some for you? Let me know! Either way I will share how- (So easy!)

      Delete
    2. So far so good with Bloglovin'! I would love to see a post on the buttons. You have inspired me to think about re-designing my blog and I definitely need to learn some new skills. I wouldn't want to put the creation of my own buttons on your very full plate, if you think I can learn from your instruction I would love to give it a try.

      Delete
  3. That's so awesome that you've created all of your images and buttons in PowerPoint! I'm in awe :)

    And I hear you on the spam comments. I never used to get any and now I get so many! I've been considering not allowing Anonymous comments as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really Easy Amanda- I know you could do it too! :) I'm happy to share some tricks!

      Ya, it's really annoying isn't it? I kind of liked the anonymous ones for easy posting for family, but I don't think I can handle reading those nasty words anymore... we'll see!

      Delete
  4. I'm really digging Feedly right now but I see so many people on BlogLovin that I might consider joining too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and I enjoy reading each one.

I love to reply to all of your comments. If you would like to be alerted to my reply please click the subscribe by email link at the bottom of the comment form.